This image scrolled up through my Pinterest feed after having scanned through the thousands of words images say. I stopped, read it, scrolled on, then scrolled back. It was a word for me: Grace, not perfection. I pinned it to remember.
It's the last day of September, the last day for me to present the progress I've made in our bathroom, but there is no "after" picture yet. There only is the before, purposefully honest, as unflattering as it still is:
A good friend of mine said to me last week that as long as she's known me, I've always been hard on myself. I've heard this before, but this time it struck me in a new way. I asked myself if I want to be remembered that way: constantly apologetic, bemoaning my imperfections. Is that who I want to be?
Today, I am choosing to live a life that highlights the grace I've been given, not my imperfection. I hoped to complete my bathroom this month, but I did not get there yet. I will get there eventually, in time, and I will gladly share that triumph. That moment of publication, for me, will be heavier, and will be worth so much more.
7 Ways September Was Better Than I Planned
My month has not gone as planned, but the September I was given was even better than what I imagined.
1. Last week, I was asked to videotape our third grader's field trip to visit and learn about the Hokule'a, a canoe that is set to circumnavigate the globe using ancient wayfinding techniques. I'm editing this video on a steep learning curve, phew!
2. I wrote and submitted an interview that will be published to another blog this Friday. I'm working behind the scenes to transfer my images to a domain that my husband purchased for my upcoming first year blog anniversary. Stage 1 is to have it host our images; Stage 2 will hopefully include a redirect or migration, if we can get it to work. :)
3. I was offered the opportunity to write a feature post for another website regarding our dining table. After hemming and hawing about what color to paint part of our table, I finally settled on blue (my favorite color), then painted over the blue with the sneaky dark purple that is sprinkled throughout our kitchen and dining room. The post will hopefully be featured before the end of 2013! =D
4. I enjoyed a round of beautiful weekends this month, including a special day with my husband, which meant so much more than I can express.
5. My brother's 26th birthday was yesterday. I made 4 homemade pizzas to celebrate.
6. Today marks 3 years since my dad passed into glory when he was 80. Every time I recall who he was and what legacy he has left us, I grow to realize even more how great a man I was given to be my father.
7. I'm finally learning how Grace is sufficient for me.
What did September have in store for you? :)